Please see the latest DVSA update below:
Reminder: Consultation on proposals to address lorry driver shortages
- The government is consulting on proposed changes to the requirements to obtain a vocational driving licence to help address the current shortage of lorry drivers.
- Time is running out to give your views as the consultation ends on 7 September at 11.59pm.
· What is being consulted on
- The measures being consulted on are proposed changes to the current requirements to obtain a vocational driving licence, including:
- allowing drivers to take one test to drive both a rigid and articulated lorry, rather than having to pass a test in a rigid lorry first, and then another in an articulated lorry
- allowing drivers who want to use a bus or coach to tow a trailer to take one test with a trailer, rather than having to pass a test without a trailer first
- allowing the off-road manoeuvres part of the test to be assessed by the driver training industry
- allowing car drivers to tow a trailer without having to take another test
Peter Harvey MBE